This recipe is one of my all time favourites! Every time I make this dish for my friends every single one of them loved it and ate it all in matter of seconds! It only takes 15 mins to make and it’s a no fail dish, so you can’t fail at this! It’s just so simple! There’s only 5 ingredients where 4 of them are staple house hold ingredients. All you need is puff pastry, split some bananas and shove it in the oven and let the magic begin! The coolest thing about this dish is the little trick you can perform at the dinner table. Simply flip the “Banana Tarte Tatin” in front of your friends, and they can smell and watch the caramel oozing down the plate! Serve with a scoop of ice- cream and voila! They are now your new best friends!
TIP: Be careful not to get burnt as the plate or pan could be really hot! Use a tea towel or oven mit! If you don’t like bananas you can also replace that ingredient with apples or pears or even peaches!
- 40g or 1 1/2 big Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp pouring cream
- 2 x Bananas
- 1 x sheet ready- prepared puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F). Place the butter, sugar and cream in an ovenproof frying pan.
- If your oven is small like mine, just use any saucepan to cook the caramel sauce.
- Stir the mixture over medium heat until the sugar has melted and the caramel is simmering.
- If you have a big oven you can lay the bananas on top of the sauce in the overproof frying pan.
- If you have a small oven, transfer the sauce into a small overproof dish, and lay the bananas on top of the sauce.
- Cut out a rough circle or square of pastry (depending on shape of dish or saucepan).
- Then place on top of the bananas.
- Poke just a few little holes in the pastry with a fork.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Stand for 5 mins then grab a serving plate, place on top of the baking dish or pan then flip it over then lift the baking dish off, and hopefully you will see the dish appear beautifully with caramel oozing over.
- Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice-cream.